Saturday, June 25, 2011

Cat Progress

I have been making excelleng progress on the Charley Harper Cat.  Although I'm a total rookie at FMQ, I bit the bullet and used a varigated brown thread and this design to add texture to the bark on the quilt.  (Not sure why this photo bleached out the fabric color so much...)

This pic is more true color.  As I was working on that skinny branch, I realized that I needed to bind the quilt before I finished quilting it.  I realize that 2.5 hours seems like a long time to spend hand stitching the back of the binding on.  But the look is SOOO worth it.

I added the pre-quilted leaves this afternoon and have been quilting them in place using FMQ over the pre-quilted lines.  The lines are far less exact than when I quilted the dimentional leaves using the walking foot. 

I had been thinking about adding secret bugs embroidered on the back of some of the leaves.  But now I'm thinking that I may include them in some machine quilting/stippling b/w the leaves.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

Looking good....cannot wait to see it all finished.....

Marg said...

Me too, can't wait to see it finished, it looks fabulous.

Julie Fukuda said...

I agree that there are some things that look better done by hand. Your machine quilting seems to be coming along nicely too.

quilthexle said...

Your quilting looks wonderful ! And the binding is just perfect - can't wait to see a pic of the finished quilt ;-))