Monday, December 23, 2013
USA Quilting 1
I was going to use a white backing, but the fabric I had available was white-on-white one of which was too thin and the other to painty. I opted for a red Ikea cotton sheet that I had already pre-washed, but needed ironing.
While I was wishing that I had some really white batting in the stash, it occurred to me that easy stitching was priority because of all the piecing. I decided to use another piece of the wool I've been saving. Interestingly, I think that the patterning of the white-on-white backgrounds stands up more with that cream colored layer.
I also discovered at this point that despite my careful stitching, the outer border has a little bit of a wave to it. It's the result of having a bias edge of triangles all around the outside. That problem should quilt out with this somewhat lofty batting.
Windblown Square for North Dakota
After the outline stitching, I plan to do some echoing like this but in a way that merges with or flows to the stitching of the next block.
You may remember from a previous post on this quilt, that there are several rows that got off-grid from the others. I can see now that there's going to be some clever stitching to camouflage the problem.
This block, for example is about 1/4" smaller than the one below it, but lined up on the right side. It's only noticeable when you try to line up the center points of each block. A little "fool the eye" quilting and no one will notice.