Sunday, January 5, 2014

Biggs Details

I am finished with the Apple Pie Ridge Star block, First of the Benjamin Biggs BOM.  

I kept thinking that the shape looked familiar and finally decided that it's the Idaho WIC logo.

Not bad symbolism actually, as I was a WIC Dietitian for 10 years.   But if I were to do it over, I'd do a double scroll like the one from QuakerQuiltHistory.com.

The reason that I LOVE applique is the opportunity to do some really cool details, most of which are only known to me.

I fussy cut the swirls on the flower bud.  And lined up the center veining on both the bud and the leaf.

Here's my process for "fussy cutting" using Backbasting applique.

Use long pins to mark the center veining.  Also the top bottom, and for this shape, bottom of the bud.

By feeling through the fabric, you can position any center veining as well as other designs on your fabric.  I like using small applique pins to attach the fabric to the right side.

Use a contrasting thread to baste the fabric in place.  My general plan is that I can make longer stitches where it is long straight runs, and closer together for the curves and fussy bits.

Remove the basting an inch or so at a time,  and use needle turn techniques to sew the shape down.  I like silk thread and a size 11 or 12 needle.    Clover Black Gold is my favorite, but this is my last one, so I may need to take out a second mortgage to stock up.



Things don't always turn out like I planned.
I'm pretty laid back about letting things look organic...but square leaves are a deal breaker.  (I was busy watching the game and talking to my daughter and didn't notice how bad they were as I was making them. )

I rarely  make this kind of error when hand stitching, but it's not a hard fix.

I used a seam ripper to un-stitch the curves, leaving the inner points that were just fine.

Stitching better.  Though the photography is not.

My point is that sometimes a couple minutes is worth the fuss.

 I'm on my way over the the Benjamin Biggs Blog.  Join us over there if you're working on this quilt.  I'll be blogging both places but with different content.

3 comments:

Kathleen C said...

Your B. Biggs block looks lovely. Thanks for writing about the block and sharing your adaptation. I felt the same as you when I saw the original pattern.
I'd love to start the quilt now--maybe I will--but I need to give priority to two applique/hand quilted gifts I'm making. And, I've started the Chester County Criswell Quilt. But that's part of the fun, making a variety of patterns and quilt styles.
Thanks very much.

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

Your adapted block looks wonderful and thanks for showing us how you fussy cut and appliqué at the same time - I wondered how you did it!

Cindy said...

love your Biggs block. This is on my wish list, but I need to pare down my UFOs before I start a new project. I love how you have made it your own.
Cindy-quiltingpansy