Monday, January 13, 2014
As for feathers...by jove, I think I've got it! Two bits of advice that I picked up on line that helped are 1) making the feathers smaller 2) spend a lot of time drawing them on paper before going to the fabric.
I also discovered that the amount of fabric to hold on to makes a difference as well. The outer edges of this practice panel are less impressive than this center section.
I had been doing a row or two of echo stitching on each block, but leaving the connecting bits to finish later. I am now pretty comfortable with how the overall flow of the quilt is going to go and I've been adding the fill as I go.
I learned on my last quilt with wool batting that manipulating the distance between quilting creates more textural difference than with cotton or bamboo batting. I am using that to my advantage.
The good news is that I finally found the perfect combination for quilting this quilt.
A traditional length quilting needle (on the right) is perfect for making 1-2 stitches at a time. It needs to be very sharp since there are many seams go go through, not to mention the "paint" on the white background. The coated Coats & Clark quilting thread I had in the stash is thicker than standard threads, so my solution is the Clover Black Gold size 10.
A sturdy applique needle (10 or 11 depending on the brand) is great for the long straight sections. I can load 4-5 stitches on at a time, which keeps the lines significantly straighter.