Friday, January 3, 2014

Primary Source

I love the overall look of the new Biggs BOM that I've decided to do.  With the exception of block #1.  Which is probably not a good way to start a big project.  What I don't like is a combination of it's strange asymmetrical shape the the unknown purpose of the weird green commas.

There is a great history document that was provided with the block called Apple Pie Ridge Star.

Which triggered an Ah-Ha! moment in the shower this morning.  What if this was a bad interpretation of a great block?  Is this the Wikipedia Version of a great masterpiece?

My background as a college professor kicked in and I decided to look for a primary source.  Maybe this is like the "whisper game" where things change as they are passed on....

A quick internet search and I found several historic examples including my favorite variation from QuakerQuiltHistory.com

*Insert Sound of Angels Singing*

Now I'm getting excited!

I grabbed a pen and started reshaping the pattern.

Before my work day had started, I had a mock up.

This is worth stitching.

I do backbasting needleturn applique so I need to trace the design on the back of my fabric.    The thing that I hate about winter at 43 degrees North is that it's dark when I go to work and when I go home.  My "light box" (aka window) doesn't work.

I had already prepped the background block.
So I finished the prep at lunch at work.

I've never flashed a hospital with quilt patterns before.



* If you are not familiar with back basting applique, there are tutorial links on the top right sidebar of my blog.

11 comments:

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I agree with you when I saw the first block revealed. A bit disappointed! Love what you did with it!

Marj said...

What a wonderful mind you have. I am not sure mine would have thought to do the research. Love how the new block layout looks.

Raewyn said...

I really like your re-invention and great work on the research. I've been pondering this project too. [Do you have a glass topped table (or similar?) - a lamp underneath one makes a great lightbox and the set-up I use when I go to Mum's.]

Stitches said...

I love your version of this first block, I wasn't real thrilled with the one given,,I will have to do a revision also. Thanks for your idea, it's much better.

Karens Quilts, Crows and Cardinals said...

Lovin the revised block Marjorie - what a great idea!

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

The revised version of the block is much better than the one in the BOM - that's just plain odd! I can't wait to see this project develop!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Much nicer! It IS a weird block...I am participating in this project but because I will hand quilt it myself, I don't want to do anything larger than twin size or couch throw. I figured that I'll either end up with two smaller quilts or who knows. I decided to forego the leaves and flowers in this block and hold off as I might end up putting holly leaves and berries in down the line :)

Sharon said...

I just cut into my fabric that I back basted on to the background. *$%&^ as I love your rendition. Please post this over at the Biggs blog as that is the type of sharing that really is helpful to everyone. I only have one piece of the red that I just cut, so I can't go back and redo, but I can modify the center part Thanks for the great updated view of the pattern

Janet said...

That's such a great interpretation of the block and will be enjoyable to stitch.

Every Stitch said...

Well done with your changes - it is very elegant. I am half way through my block and really don't mind the original quirky block. Hadn't actually given any thought to what the green curls (?leaves) were in the middle LOL! Will be good to see any other changes you will make.
Hilda

Angie in SoCal said...

What a nice interpretation you've done of the first block. I'll be doing something else also. Hilda, I thought the curls in the middle were apple seeds - grin.