Tuesday, January 21, 2014

WIP 21

I really was on my way to make a backing for the red & white bonus quilt, when I stumbled over this pile of scraps.

In 2009 I designed and made the quilt below to resemble a Persian Rug.  Since I was designing as I went along, and the theme switched from dark to light at the recipient's request part way through, I had a lot of fabric.  It is not a color way I use.  I gave the scraps to a friend.  They came back a couple years later.  A couple weeks ago, I was at another friend's new house which has deep red walls and a brown couch in the family room.  Ah Ha!

I spent the morning cutting the bigger scraps into 1.5", 2" and 2.5" strips.  A task made more challenging by the fact that I had fussy cut designs from most of them so the scraps look like swiss cheese.  I sewed them into 3 long strips and started joining them, alternating widths.  I have 3 panels that I am working on and have about 57" worth (70" wide) joined.  I hope to get to around 70" or more long... or whenever I run out of strips. 

I would have made more progress, but I was using my Viking, which an amazing repairman in Utah had brought back from the dead.  I was warned that it would no longer do 1/2 speed, which is fine since I don't use that feature.  It seemed though, that it was sewing slower than usual.  Kind of Southern.  After several hours of being annoyed, I finally checked the cord connections and suddenly had full speed again.  Doh!

4 comments:

Nanna said...

you had me at red lol! love the colors, can't wait to see it all finished!
Helen

Amy said...

Your diversions are awesome. What other lovelies lurk in the depths of your stash? Time and your inclination will tell...

Bunny said...

Looking forward to your creation.
Bunny

LA Paylor said...

that rug style quilt is awesome. Now another one made from leftovers from the first. Cool connection.
LeeAnna Paylor
lapaylor.blogspot.com