In 2009 I designed and made the quilt below to resemble a Persian Rug. Since I was designing as I went along, and the theme switched from dark to light at the recipient's request part way through, I had a lot of fabric. It is not a color way I use. I gave the scraps to a friend. They came back a couple years later. A couple weeks ago, I was at another friend's new house which has deep red walls and a brown couch in the family room. Ah Ha!
I spent the morning cutting the bigger scraps into 1.5", 2" and 2.5" strips. A task made more challenging by the fact that I had fussy cut designs from most of them so the scraps look like swiss cheese. I sewed them into 3 long strips and started joining them, alternating widths. I have 3 panels that I am working on and have about 57" worth (70" wide) joined. I hope to get to around 70" or more long... or whenever I run out of strips.
I would have made more progress, but I was using my Viking, which an amazing repairman in Utah had brought back from the dead. I was warned that it would no longer do 1/2 speed, which is fine since I don't use that feature. It seemed though, that it was sewing slower than usual. Kind of Southern. After several hours of being annoyed, I finally checked the cord connections and suddenly had full speed again. Doh!