Thursday, May 27, 2010

Columbine Vacation

I'm not sure how I feel about my quilt going on vacation without me.  It has arrived in West Yellowstone, MT where it will spend the summer.  If you are going to Yellowstone National Park this summer, stop by the Pinecone Playhouse to check it out in person.  I designed this quilt with the purpose of having a Rocky Mountain themed project that Anna could teach as workshops  as part of the Western Heritage Arts Center over the summer.  I adore wildflowers and the first design that popped into my head was a columbine.  A self-framed reverse applique was what quickly developed.  I thought this looked really modern, so I tried working it up in black & white.  The batik I used in the sashing is a Hoffman wildflower that works perfectly with this pattern.

These are the columbine that are blooming in my yard right now.  This is what I was thinking about when I adapted the patterns to a back-basting, color variation.  Here's what it looks like right now.  I was thinking that I would quilt leaves in the green corner blocks, but am reconsidering replacing them with red.  Maybe smaller red corner blocks (add another goose on each side).  I am really looking forward to quilting in a lot of detail on these blocks.  Soon.  Really.  I just have a couple projects to finish up....
Update: The colored columbine top became a door prize at the October Sisters Quilt Weekend in West Yellowstone.  It went home with Silvia who loves red & yellow together.   

Oh...and if you stopped by from Lynne's blog...I've made about 100 posts since this one...I'm just too overwhelmed with work and family to repost about this quilt.  You can pop by the WIP Page to see all my latest evil plans or the Finished Project Page that proves that I do, in fact, finish things....sometimes....eventually. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What if you hand quilt in red in the green squares? That might be enough to brighten the corners . . .

Lynne (Lily's Quilts) said...

Wow, your applique is really incredible - I am going on a hand applique course in June - for some reason, every time I try, I just can't get it and it looks rubbish so I decided that would kick start me. How are you going with your project with Ethne? Do you design all your own applique? Do you ever use a pattern? Have you ever done tile applique? Do you teach applique?