Thursday, June 10, 2010

Popsicle Cartoons

     I am completely obsessed with Terrece's Watercolors.  I sent the links to my co-workers and they couldn't stop oooing and ahhhhing.  By the end of the day I'd decided to make the popsicle painting into a quilt, and spent spare moments imagining my extensive raspberry batik stash as popsicles.   Good thing the boss was gone, or she'd wonder why I looked so happy all day.
     I spent some time on-line looking for cartoon fabric for the background.  After much searching, I found one that is called "Dysfunctional Family" which is amusing in it's own right.
     I had decided that I wanted to make this a lap-quilt size rather than an art quilt.  After all, the original is art for the wall...this will be something to snuggle under while admiring the artists amazing work.  60x70 seems to best match the original proportions. So I set about cropping and enlarging sections of the background to get a sense of scale.  [sound of screeching tires here] Whoa.  The cartoon faces will be 4" tall.  This means that the cartoon fabric is not going to work.  I'm currently thinking that the solution will be a variation of a crazy-quilt strip. I need to go buy some pastel batiks.
    And as I was dozing off to sleep last occurred to me to use the speech bubbles to embroider the quilt signature info (name, date) in pale thread.
    I love it when a plan comes together.

1 comment:

connie said...

Don't you just love it when you are excited about a project of your own creation!!! Have fun!